Wednesday, November 28, 2012
Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder where the individual experiences a variety of different symptoms and not all individuals experience the same symptoms. It used to be thought that these individuals were possessed or hysteric. Since these ancient beliefs, there has been much research in hopes to understand the disorder and find treatments for those affected. The treatment most used is antipsychotic medications that help relieve the voices and hallucinations. These medications are not a cure for schizophrenia, but they help manage the symptoms. Along with medication there is also therapy sessions and support groups. There is also some experimental treatments being examined for efficacy. Not much is known as to what causes schizophrenia but it most likely is a combination of genetics and environment. Although the book talks about genetics being examined, no one gene has been found that controls or causes schizophrenia Twin studies do imply there is some genetic factor and more research is be conducted to understand the genetics involved. There is also the influence of prenatal care on schizophrenia. The book describes how if while pregnant the mother is stress, contracts a virus, foods she eats, metals that enter the system or even if the RH factor that tries to rid the body of the baby; they all influence the developing brain of the fetus. Keep in mind the baby born most likely will not display symptoms of schizophrenia until the later. The idea is the part of the brain affected is not fully utilized until a later age, and at that point the symptoms may begin to emerge. Symptoms of the disorder are disorganized speech, disorganized thought, paranoia, visual hallucinations, auditory hallucinations, loss of feelings, lack of emotion, lack of interest in daily activities, little ability to experience pleasure or happiness. Can you imagine? I can't. What would it be like to have even just one of these symptoms? I included a clip that is intended to help us understand what a schizophrenic person may be experiencing, but keep in mind it is a simulation. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and ate lots of turkey.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awesome post Jeanette! I loved it and the video really helped a lot as well. I don't think I can imagine having any of those symptoms. I mean I have at times had maybe one or two, but they were at different times and it was because I use to be an insomniac not because of Schizophrenia. It's interesting to know also how diet can tie into Schizophrenia or even women who are about to give birth and what the effects of the medications have on them. I found this whole subject really interesting. Imagine those mothers who are pregnant and have an episode before or after pregnancy? I don't think I could handle it, but that is just me. Anyway great post :)
That was really thorough. I feel like my post isn't good enough now. :(
Your video reminds me of a story. I took a criminal justice class in high school and one of the things we talked about was criminals with mental disorders. Our teacher was very hand-on and he liked to try to recreate the material in a way that we could actively observe. So, when we talked about people with schizophrenia, he had us split up into groups. One person would sit in a chair while their group members rolled up papers into makeshift megaphones and shouted at them. (I was the person in the chair, btw.) During all the shouting, we had to try our best to hold a conversation with the teacher. It was pretty intense. I mean, I know not everyone with schizophrenia experiences it quite like that, but I feel bad for the ones that do.
Very informative post. You explained the disorder clearly and it was easy to understand. By adding the video you made it real. We can read about all of these symptoms, but it is when we are actually exposed to something first hand that we truly realize just how severe they are. Schizophrenia is a very arousing disorder and the video clearly showed it. How can someone feel happy or any type of positive emotions when they are constantly weary of every situation and everyone. It must be so difficult to suffer from schizophrenia and have many of the symptoms described. While watching the video i feared him hurting people, due to those voices which kept telling him to be suspicious. Great way to present your information.
i loved your post, you talked about many other things that can be tied to schizophrenia like the diet thing. it would also be scary to know you're pregnant and suffering from schizophrenia itself or having it after your pregnancy. i mean you wanna focus on your new bundle of joy and just have this affect your life can be something really serious. great post :)
Post a Comment