Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Migraines and strokes

What I found interesting was the section that talked about headaches and strokes. There were many things to choose on today's topic, but this seems different and personal. I have been suffering from migraines for as long as I can remember. Anyone who has ever had a migraine can tell you they would rather have a regular headache over a migraine. They must be genetic because many women in my family suffer from them. They are debilitating and always seem to come at the worst possible time. The book explained how they are caused by the swelling of the meninges. I had an ah-ha moment! When a migraine comes on they can last for days and its hard to function. I have tried everything and what I have learned helps me is a frozen pack on my head and neck. It is not strange to find me with a package of frozen veggies on my head, in bed, in a dark room. It helps! The clip above gives a detailed explanation on migraines, there were many interesting facts.

When reading about strokes and how they currently try to reduce the bad effects through drugs and such, the book also said that cooling the head helped. Curious?! I have an aunt who had a stroke and at first could not walk, talk, and pretty much take care of herself. Overtime, through lots of rehab, she eventually learned to perform these tasks although they will never be performed at the same rate and her speech is slurred. The book talked about how even though people may learn eventually to get these skills back, they are working much harder than you or I. This also made me think of that commercial on tv about texting and driving. It was a young man going through rehab and he was obviously having trouble walking and talking. That commercial was so sad and examplifies how our brain and all the many functions it performs is so important. Isn't it amazing how adaptive our brains are? I can't say I completely understand the inner workings of our neurons and a nervous system in general work but the fact that it so adaptive and plastic is worth talking about.

1 comment:

Ellie Arredondo said...

I know what you mean completely. I suffer from migraines and they are so horrible. You feel like your brain is going to fall out of your head and you feel like throwing up. My aunt recently had rumors that were taken out of her forehead that were causing her migraines.